BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 1, 2009

Melvin and Peggy Pevehouse

Many, many years ago on the first Sunday in June, Melvin Ray Pevehouse married Peggy Pauline Gibson. They got married in the yard at Aunt Veda and Uncle "Mac" Magars house. They met at a mutual friends"chivalrie". A southern custom that has almost disappeared. the year was 1947, and Melvin had returned from a stint in the navy during WWII. Peggy was a senior in high school, the salutatorian of Vanoss High School. Melvin didn't have a car, and would hitch-hike and walk, from Ada to Bishop Parish, a small area outside of Gaar Corner to keep company with her.

She wanted to graduate from high school, and married women were not allowed to finish their education, so she chose the first Sunday in June following her graduation.

There weren't many job opportunities in rural oklahoma at this time so in the summer of 1947, they set out for California with Grandpa R.C., Grandma Dot, and Granny and Grandpa Gibson. They had a one room apartment in the same house as the rest of the family, and started their new life in Alameda.

Their daughter Donna Ray was born the following March, but she was tragically killed in a fall at the age of 4. Douglas wasborn the following June, and Regina was born the next July. They eventually moved to a brand new house in the Palma Ceia division of Hayward.

About this time, my mother, Patty met them at church.They became fast friends, and have been friends since 1958. When I was born about 8 years later, my mother had to return to work when i was 6 weeks old. She gave me to the care of Peggy and Melvin Pevehouse, and I have been there ever since.

It is not that i didn't have my own, family, and older brothers, and sisters, but my life has been so blessed, and so much richer by being a part of their lives.

I have learned so many things from them, i wouldn't really know how to begin to explain it, but everything that is good and right and true about me, i learned from them. I also know every okie expression in the book, because Grannys' speech is completely peppered with okieisms.

Papaw passed away a few years ago, at the time, i felt how could the world just go on without this amazing man, but Granny has persevered through her grief and her lonliness, and taught me new lessons along the way.

Today marks the 62nd Anniversary of their Marriage, and I called Granny to tell her I loved her, and was thinking of her on this special day...Their beginning is still something to be celebrated, love and faithfulness always are.

2 comments:

momoflots said...

Oh what a wonderful tribute to Granny. You've spoken of her so often I feel I know what kind of lovely person she is. I was wondering earlier today if she would tell you the same thing I did about resting when you are sick. I hope Wayne and I get the blessing of celebrating 62 years together!!
~Christine

Kimberly said...

Granny did tell me the same thing, actually she said rest doll, just go lay down, things will work out...Here is praying we all make it to that finish line..kimberly