BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

is that heaven or a yard sale sign?

Tiffiany called me at 7:00 Saturday morning, and said get up Mom, put some clothes on, there are yard sales everywhere. I protested, it is way too early to be up, I don't want to be up...she persisted, it will do you a world of good to get out of the house. I said wake me later, 5 minutes later Tiffiany came in my bedroom, found a summer skirt and top, pulled my protesting self out of bed and said come on.

The first yard sale was about 7 miles from the house, I bought a bookcase for 2.00, a green wingback chair for 5.00, and 2 leather and wood arm chairs for 3.00. I was in yard sale heaven. They had tons of baby girl clothes, excellent quality 6/1.00, that's cheaper than the Salvation Army. Tiffiany and i dug through 4 huge boxes, I also bought a spiderman, and several hot wheels cars because with the little ones, you can never have enough cars.

We had to call Kyle to come and pick up my treasures, he was still asleep, and not that thrilled,but he found a gun holster, so his help cost me 5.00.

We went out to the brick plant to take Ben a drink and say Hi(pick his pockets for more money).
He was very happy to see me out of bed, gave me some money and a kiss, and said don't over-do.

The next yard-sale we hit had lots of glass-ware. I spent .95 cents, and bought 2 beautiful wine glasses, a milk glass compote, 2 milk glass ice cream dishes, and 2 lavendar depression glass ice cream dishes. The next 3 yard-sales were not very good, I found a few small things, and Alexandra a baby-doll.

I was starting to fade so we decided to head to one more big yard-sale on the way home. Three neighboring towns all had city wide sales on Sat. but, i didn't have that kind of money or energy. The last yard sale, had great stuff, lots of antiques and collectibles, but i didn't want to spend a lot of money. I did buy a french provencial style chair for my bedroom, a king size(enormous) pillowsham in black/cream toile, i am going to use to re-upholster(staple the heck out of it) Nicoles' chair. This really beat up cabinet I am going to hang gardening tools in if Nicole doesn't sneak it up to her room. I also found a beautiful mahogany dresser with a matching mirror for 40.00. I didn't have 40.00, and i wanted to measure, and see if the mirror would fit above my sinks, to use in my new vanity area.

I talked it over with Ben, and he said, if i thought it was a good deal to buy it. The lady didn't sell it, and was very pleased when i called and said we'd take it. We went to pick it up yesterday evening. They had changed the lock on their shed, and didn't check to see if it, so after the women worked at it for an hour,Ben picked the lock and opened up the shed, he and Andrew carted it all off to the van. They all wanted to know why everything i bought was either big, akward or heavy. Just lucky i guess. They were so excited when i had them haul the big dresser up the stairs, they were just teeming with excitement.

I am finally feeling better, I hope it lasts. I seem to have missed spring entirely and gone straight to summer. It has been in the 90's, and I turned the A/C on. It is not nice and warm, i missed that, it has turned stinkin' HOT already.

Teach me not to ever get sick again, yesterday I decided to catch up on the ironing, and there were 27 items waiting for me, that's enough to send anyone back to bed!!!! I did half of it before i got too hot to continue. I thought i would finish it this morning,but we decided to clean out Seans' dresser, then we decided to do Nicoles' and so i guess it will have to wait a few more days.

I always think of Bens' Mom when i iron, she loved to do it. It is a great blessing having a mil, that loves, to iron, and that irons all your clothes for fun. I sure do miss her.

1 comments:

momoflots said...

Wow awesome finds!! And what a nice girl Tiffany is to get you out of the house!! I collect depression glass but hardly ever find any at garage sales. I think where we live people don't do antiques much - I don't know why - antiques and vintage stuff is the best!!

I'll trade you ironing for folding laundry - I love to iron - hate to fold. I'm catching up on that icky chore today!! Thank goodness for DVDs - I'm watching Monk while I fold - makes it a bit easier!!

So glad you are feeling better - don't overdo!!

Yep, I'm super fair skinned too - with strawberry blonde hair - I'm sure the dermatologist would have a heart attack if he knew how much I've burned over the years!! Oh well!! I'm a bit wiser now and willing to wear the sunblock and hats - years ago - not so much. Have a great day
~Christine