BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 22, 2008

Chivalry is not dead

Fr. Matthew called today to check on me. I haven't seen him since he went to live at the Monastery in June. He has been a great blessing to me, and my whole family. He was our parish priest for 10 1/2 years. He baptised 4 babies, buried1, and married my oldest son. He has a dry sense of humor , stands just over 5 feet tall and is 86 years old.

His greatest fear in returning to the monastery was that they would take his car away. He was overjoyed to find a parking space with his name on it right in front. Age has its privliges.

He asked lots of questions, he wanted to know everything that had been happening in our lives lately. I gave him a complete run down . Including the family members that had been down with the dreaded stomach virus. Kyle, Andrew, Ben, Connor, Christian , and last but not least Alexandra who spent 2 days projectile vomiting. I think priests need a peek at large family life.

He told me "God must love you very much" . I said what are you talking about. He said things always happen to the people God loves very much , and something, everything is always happening to you!!!!! I couldn't argue with that one and soon our conversation turned to farm life.

He was raised on a poultry ranch , and likes to talk about the chickens, and hear my stories about the turkey thinking he's a rooster. I was explaing to him why I had been feeding, and putting the chickens up at night since it is Connors' job(The crazy chickens were roosting on my front porch ). I felt so sorry for him. First the staph infection in his arm, then the yucky stomach virus. After I put the chickens up Billy the goat went berserk!!!!! He thought I had food or scraps , and trapped me in an area without a stick, or a bat, or a gun. He was jumping and bucking , I had never seen him so crazy. He rammed me twice in the stomach. He hit me so hard, he knocked me up over a hedge, and into the gazebo about 5 feet. He broke the skin on my stomach and leg. I have welts and bruises everywhere. The children heard me screaming and ran to my rescue. I said get your Daddy, and tell him to bring the gun this time. He came out and chased his wretched goat away, but wouldn't shoot him.

Dear Fr. Matthew said that goat is a menace, and serves no useful purpose. If, I still lived down there I'd bring my gun over and take care of that goat. He said now my dear , you and the children lure that goat into the back pasture, and shoot it. It has become far to dangerous. And what will I tell the husband, that happens to like the goat? He said tell him bad news dear, I was shooting into the back pasture, and the goat ran into my bullet.

0 comments: