BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

moonlight, fireflies and me

We recently spent 5 nights camping with our family at Lake Arbuckle. We like it because, the campsites are clean, it is fairly close to home, and the Lake is cool and clear.

Alexandra loved every minute of camping, she loved being outdoors all the time, we couldn't keep her out of the water. She was passed from person to person as she spent her time playing in the Lake. Even with sunscreen and a hat, she turned so brown, i know where my drop of Cherokee went. My brown-haired, brown-eyed deeply tanned daughter. I finally resorted to having her swim in her cotton pajama tops, but she never burned at all.

Christian and Sean loved camping , i think the marshmallows were their favorite part. I know it was way up on my list. Ben was searching for 5 minutes alone with me, but when you are camping with 16 people, there is no such thing.

We did sit and hold hands and watch the moon reflecting on the lake after all the children were asleep. There is something almost magical about moonlight. Being so far away from lights it took on a translucent glow.

I was under strict orders from my husband to do nothing. I found it very stressful. i don't really know how to do ;nothing, but i tried.. i sat on my new chaise lounge, and read Murder on the Orient Express again, Ben wanted to know how many times i have read it, but i can't count that high. It is an old familiar friend.

We ate a lot, played games, and listened to the boys play guitar. Ashley sang for us and the little ones danced to their own music. We had a great time.

Ben took his ancient fishing boat, and the children took turns putting around the Lake in his 1958 Larson. The boys went fishing everyday, put thank the good Lord, they didn't catch anything i had to try to eat....

Ben and the older boys slept under a blanket of stars, and even though i had the luxury of ;a tent with a double queen mattress, and a battery operated fan, i could look up through the canopy of trees, and count to the stars(and listen to the snores of all the teenage boys)i am not sure what was louder, the boys, or the ciccadas.

I must confess, however, that after 5 nights at the lake, when 500 people or there-abouts poured into the campground thursday night, i was more than ready to go home. I was so happy to return home, i could have kissed the floor. I was thrilled to climb on my own bed, i was overcome by the cool tile floor, and of course the air conditioner(i hate hot), My own shower, that doesn't have a low-flow head, i am not even sure there was real water in that mist they call ashower....

The only person happier than me, was Maggie the dog. She really hates camping, and really loves her tile floor....

Ben thinks we should go camping again before school starts...great idea babe...you have fun with that...Priscilla is sitting that one out.

Priscilla is the nickname, my dear tomboyesque friend Nancy gave me years ago, when she would goad me into getting on the back of her motor-cycle, or water-ski on one ski...her favorite line has always been, suck it up Priscilla...Priscilla is only going to be sucking things through a straw for the rest of the summer...preferably fruity drinks or margaritas with lots of ice, and lots of grade a tequila!!!!

1 comments:

momoflots said...

Here's the story I've been waiting for!!! I love Murder on the Orient Express (if fact I'm going to dig it out after I'm done writing to you :0) Don't you think doing nothing is harder than doing everything?!!! So glad you got to sit and hold hands with your hubby!! I wish we had cicaddas here - then when I lie awake at night when we're camping the bugs would drown out all the rustling that I'm positively sure are mice and racoons and maybe even bears getting into our stuff!!! The best part of camping for me is that my hubby gets the kids up and dressed for me and makes breakfast (So very early I might add) while I stay in the tent (finally warm) and read and doze. You dislike being hot and I hate to be cold when camping!!! BTW our dog is named Maggie too - although she is in heaven when we are living outdoors!!!

P.S. I'm putting something in the mail to you in the morning - start checking your mailbox in a few days :0)!!!