BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

voca-the call

I have been thinking about my vocation as a wife and mother. A few years ago, I was involved in every aspect of church activities. I was an officer in the Altar Society from 1995-2003; I taught sunday school from 1995-2003; I either taught or ran the kitchen at every vacation bible school from 1995-2008, usually with 1 other parent,and a nun. I also worked every funeral dinner for years.

After Lukes' death my health was in a very precarious state, the following pregnancy was extremely high risk, and i spent 7 weeks in the hospital. It took a very long time for me to recover from the ordeal, I planned church events, and dinners from my hospital bed, and faxed lists to people. In the fall of 2003, when they were lining up teachers for the classes,I was once again receiving a lot of pressure to teach, and do my best for the church.

Fr. Matthew called me over to the rectory, I thought oh no, what have I done now. In his own plain-spoken, inimitable way he explained that God had called me to be a wife and mother, and that call had to come first. He pointed out that none of the women that were so eager to put me in charge of things had 7 young children. He flat out forbid me from teaching, holding an office or volunteering for anything without his approval. He explained when my health was in jeopardy how many volunteered to look after my childen or feed my family, who would look after them if i died....

Fr. Matthew said the church has been here for 2000 years, and when my family was raised there would stillbe plenty of work for me to do. Ihave made my focus, my home and family. We do not attend sunday school, put I do give religous instruction to my children using the Baltimore Catechism, the saints of the day, and of course holy scripture. i feel they are receiving a very solid education.

I have tried to live up to Gods' call on my life, and last year, I realised, my ministry is right here in my home, not only to my children, but to all the teenagers that have come through my door in need of an adult to listen to them and give them a hug and a hot meal. Many children call me Mom, not only the ones I have given birth to. Maybe that is what God intended all along...I have never turned one of them away from my table or my home ,I just listen and love them.

Thank you Fr. Matthew for caring enough about me to point out my true vocation to me...Thank you for giving so much of yourself to the church all these years, I have been honored to know you , and I am so greatful to you for the 60 years you have served God and his Church so faithfully.

Last June after 10 years at our parish Fr. Matthew returned to the monastery, he was the very young age of 86, and Fr. Adrian became our new parish priest. At the meeting in August to plan the new religous education program,I attended and offered my opinions, several people nominated me to teach again, I politely declined, after everyone left Fr. Adrian said you are extremely qualified to teach, why aren't you sharing this gift with the church? I explained my reasons, and Fr. Matthews talk with me..he said Fr. Matthew is a very wise and holy priest....

Last month Fr. Matthew celebrated his 87th birthdy, and 60th jubilee as a priest. The Archbishop of okc, and Bishop of Tulsa concelebrated the Mass in his honor. This humble man from Lawton, Oklahoma has touched many lives...My 2 youngest sons each carrry one of his names. He has asked all the children what is God calling you to do? And so I ask what has God called you to do? Are you listening? I hope I am!!!!

2 comments:

50s Housewife said...

Great post! Good for Fr. Matthew! I used to be the same way (volunteering for everything and taking on way too much)and got completely burned out.

momoflots said...

I too need some else to give me permission to say "no"! Usually it's my husband. What a wonderful, far-reaching ministry you have. It's planting seeds of true Faith in every one of those young people that walk through your door. What a wonderful man your Father Matthew is!! I so miss the sweet man that was my pastor growing up. He counseled my hubby and I in the early years of our marriage and taught me so much - he has gone to be with the Lord but his influence on me will always be felt. God sure puts the right people in our lives to help us doesn't He?