BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Romantic Home

I read a blog occasionally called My Romantic Home. It has a huge following, and i kind of wonder why? The pictures presented are lovely, but i have come to view it at My Empty Home. I have been looking at it for some time, and just couldn't put my finger on it, and then i saw the void...

Everything is beautiful, everything is decorated, and in its place...and with all that stuff in a small environment you wouldn't think it could be so empty...

There is no husband in my romantic home, and only one child ...the void of people and life is filled with decorating and stuff...I think it should be renamed my romantic stuff...

Now don't get me wrong, i think the owner does a lovely job, and for her that's great...i have looked at some of her displays, but i see them through the eyes of a woman that lives with a man, and 7 children still in the home....I see the potential for disaster in large crystal displays...

I know first hand, what a few small children can accidentally do to a display of Christmass ornaments...I also know what a group of teenage boys can do, that chronically have amnesia about playing football indoors with their little brothers...

My romantic home is of a different sort...I have smudges on all lowlying windows and doors, because of little fingers and noses...I have marks on my entryway wallpaper. my sled that sits on my little chest is filled with shatterproof ornaments...my grandmothers ornaments are in the china buffet and on the hutch...above the reach of helping hands...

At my house, if it is low, you had better be able to touch it, or it is gone...

My romantic husband does not care how i decorate the rooms of our home, only that i share it with him...which is why for my frilly heart, he painted our bedroom lilac with sage green trim...and says he loves the ivory down filled comforter...he doesn't object to my white lights hanging off the canopy, or even the ivory and gold canopy cover...i keep the stuff on the surfaces to me a bare minimum, not to stress him out...it is a small price to pay for sharing my bedroom, with my romantic man...I have come to accept that my home will never be a show place, heck, i am doing daily battle with mountains of laundry. more dishes than most people can imagine, and did i mention the dust bunnies, they actually thrive here...but, i do have ahusband that tells me he is blessed, and a passel of happy children....i think i have the better deal here...life with a large family can be messy sometimes, but it is never dull, and i wouldn't change my life for all the decorating perfection in the world.

2 comments:

momoflots said...

Amen and Amen!!!! I love this post!! My honey also let me decorate my (our) room anyway I like because he knows if I have a place that is pretty and mine I will be happy!! My pretties are also up high and my stuff down low can't be something that will break my heart when it breaks (because it probably will)!! :) If anythig down low in my house makes through the next 15 years - it should be considered a family heirloom!!!

momoflots said...

P.S. I just went and visited My Romatic Home - VERY beautiful and very, very, WHITE!!! That would NEVER go in my home - oh my goodness - could you IMAGINE? White furniture? NEVER in a million years!!! I must confess that I would probably be just as bad as the kids at leaving marks on the carpet and furniture - that place does't seem like a place you can curl up and read a sweet book with a steaming cup of coffee (at least not me - I tend to get into my book and slosh my coffee :0)!!!)
But you most certainly could not have a teenaged boy showing little brother the best way to shoot a nerf gun in that house!!!