BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

4-H

There is nothing quite like 4-H in small town Oklahoma. I have 2 daughters in sr. 4-h, and 2 sons, in jr. 4-h. Friday night was our 4-H talent show and bake auction. Each child is supposed to bring 2 items. That is 8 items for this crazy mama.

I did what any mother of 9 would do, I cheated. 2 plates of coconut macaroons, 2 boxes of chocolate chip cookies, and 2 snowmen cakes. I know if you do the math that only comes to 6 items,but that was enough.

I found out a few days before the show that I was responsible for the grinch aka santa costume. Now the 4-h leader said here is a quick and easy way to make a santa suit. It took 3 stops to find a red sweatshirt that was santa red, not sooner red. Walmart had been sold out of the quick and easy santa trim since october. To my shock and horror, I would have to sew the trim on.

I don't sew very often, in fact Grandmas' sewing machine doesn't work. I got out the measuring tape, and couldn't find the fabric marker, so I grabbed a crayon. I couldn't find any straight pins at all so with my needle and measuring tape, I made measurements and cut the front open. then I sewed by hand all the stinking rotten grinchy trim all over the costume. If I say so myself it turned out awesome. Connor the Grinchy Santa looked great. The 4-H skit went well even if Jonathan hid on stage.

Ashley sang Rainbow for sr. 4-H and Nicole was in a black light pantomine to who am I . It is posted on youtube under God in School. Check them out. Connor and Jon were also in a dance skit. One of the younger girls got stage fright, and was singing a difficult song, so Ashley and her sister stood with her and sang in her ear without a mic to keep her on key.

It was a great night for 4-H . In these difficult financial times, over 1500.00 was raised at the bake auction. That is an amazing amount of money raised in a very small community. It really speaks to the value we place on 4-H.

We still salute the flag, we still believe in God, we still say Merry Christmas, and we all say the 4-H pledge. For my club, my community, my country, and my world.

1 comments:

Renee said...

I saw you over at June Cleaver's place, and popped over to check out your blog. It all sounds very familiar to me, except my oldest is 15 and number 8 is due this spring. But your sense of humor so fresh and lovely, and I sooo get it.

Blessings to you and your family!