BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, February 12, 2010

Where to begin

It seems a lifetime ago, that we went to Ok City, and attended the Catholic Womens Conference. it seems forever ago, that Ashley showed me the red area in her groin. We put hot compresses on it, and decided to check in with the Dr.s office.

The nurse said, I was doing the right thing, and she was already on antibiotics, keep an eye on it, and check back in.

A week ago today, in the lifetime i have lived since then, my dear Ashley grew sicker by the day. Monday she got up from a nap after school, sobbing that she couldn't stand or walk. The entire right side of her groin was involved, she couldn't stop crying, and we heading straight to the emergency room.

The er Dr. looked at her, and left the room, he contacted a surgeon at another hospital, and told us her condition was serious, very serious life threatening, and she was being admitted to another hospital under the care of the chief surgeon.

We drove silently in the snow, not quite believing what we were told, not really comprehending the information, serious words, medical phrases, scary sentences....

They admitted her to the hospital and began massive doses of i.v. antibiotics, abcess, staph, MRSA...the unknown....

Tuesday, the area ruptured, all along the crease of her leg, more antibiotics, demerol, and then they took my daughter into surgery...sick with grief, sick with fear, lack of sleep,pain, no answers, no information...

Ashley came out of surgery with 2 incision packed with gauze. All the dead tissue had been removed, and the Dr. said, how did i know...he didn't know, he didn't know how deep and serious it was until he got in....The infection extended all the way from her groin to the pelvic wall, but did not perforate it, it also reached the femoral artery and stopped. A few more hours, one more day, and my daughter would have died...

She was saved by Gods grace, or as i call it the Holy Spirit whispering in my ear...giving me a sense of urgency and fear, i couldn't explain...

She was annointed tuesday night, and wed, Fr. Adrian brought us communion...she has been prayed over and prayed for by people all over the country... nurses, housekeepers, teachers, church friends, people we don't really know called and sent messages, we are praying for her...She was lifted up not only by the Catholic community, but several Baptist Churches, the Methodist church, and 2 Pentecostal churches.

Why does it take something terrible for Gods' people to put aside theological differences, and unite in prayer? i am so grateful for all the prayers offered on my families behalf.

I can never thank Billie and Bobbie enough for all the help with the children this week. Tonight we came home from a 5 day hospital stay...and while things are crazy(that is my norm) the laundry is unspeakable(that is almost my norm) So many things just don't matter to me right now.

I got to hold my 2 little ones for the first time since Monday. Ashley was in isolation, and i never left her, and i didn't want the other children to come to the hospital, i was afraid of spreading the infection no matter how unlikely..

it has been an incredibly long week, i am not sure how many years have passed in this week, it feels like an eternity, like a lifetime has passed, but the calendar says 5 days...

We are all so tired, we are all so grouchy, and some of us are in terrible pain, my children are happy to see me, my dogs they are happy to see me, the washing machine hasn't stopped since i walked in the door.

Ashley has had to sing the frog song, patty-cake and bye-low baby bunting, and rooster,pullet, hen..she has also had her nose stolen several time...

I am thrilled my daughter is on the mend, she will be under the care of home-health for a while, and it may take a month to six weeks for her to recover...blessings...blessings...blessings

I am so looking forward to crawling into my clean sheets, putting my head on my down pillows, and pulling mycovers up over my head...for the first time since Sunday night, i can sleep in my bed!!!!!!!

1 comments:

momoflots said...

Oh dear Kimberly!!!! I am so very glad Ashley is on the mend but oh how terribly scarey for all of you!! Please, please tell Ashley that I am praying for her - for easing of the pain, for complete destruction of the germs and for no permanent disability!! I know I have never met you or your family face to face but you are my family in Christ and I will be praying constantly!!! My dear - I hope you are able to take care of yourself a little bit - to rest and keep yourself from getting sick as well!! Hugs to all of you and know up here in Washington State is someone who is praying for complete healing for all of you!!!!